Framing Your Growth: Instinct
Here is the journey:
1. Unconscious incompetence
2. Conscious incompetence
3. Conscious competence
4. Unconscious competence (mastery)
1. When you start learning something, you begin unaware of your inability to do it well. You grasp even an awareness of how far you have to go, of what even your weaknesses are. You are a babe in the woods (sometimes it’s best to avoid being too disheartened).
2. Gradually as you learn and practice and gain in your knowledge, competency and self-control, your short comings begin to dawn on you as your abilities begin to awaken. Your path becomes clearer as your appreciation for your destination comes into better focus as you can see what you do well and where you need work, where you falter. Hopefully you experience enough momentum and positive feedback to keep going…
3. You come to a point where you can do this well, but it still requires prep and thought- conscious effort to muster your powers and execute them well.
4. Finally you reach a point where it flows naturally and almost effortlessly. Doing it well comes easily and without mental strain. You have mastered the craft with a full appreciation of the art as practiced by others- your sensitivity are refined. You also have command of your own creative powers and they are quickly, even instantly accessible.