A Boring List of General Advice
My, how I do go on.
I’m old enough to see that many of the “Big True Things” in life are pretty obvious or even kind of boring. Since I seem unable to stop inflicting my opinions, I here share my more general life advice, written in a big annoying font to make them seem more important.
• Explore, learn and try anything that interests you- always.
• Find the intersection of what you love and what you’re good at and follow that.
• Be honest with yourself and seek honest input & correction.
• Follow your own weirdness, passion, idiosyncrasy.
• Make doing things you love a habit, regardless of payoff.
• Don’t let success diminish your gratitude.
• Apply the rules of good improv to life and work:
• Second support, “Yes-and,” Make lots of offers, Don’t bail, Listen and be open, Don’t grandstand or force.
• Focus your mind & efforts on what you can influence that you care about and forget the rest.
• Your friends & relationships frame your future, so surround yourself with people headed where you want to go.
*Stay open to change, listen to understand.
• Give yourself a break, celebrate all victories.
• Say what you want out loud- all the time. Mind your mantras.